Talk'n The Talk & Wok'n The Wok

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Guangzhou

Dec.2-5th, 2006: Derek and I flew about 2.5 hours south to the crazy and crowded city of Guangzhou. There, we were able to visit some family friends of ours from good old Bloomington, Minnesota--who were kind enough to take us around town.

Guangzhou is the capital and the sub-provincial city of Guangdong Province in the southern part of the People's Republic of China. The city is also known by an older English-language name, Canton, which is based on a French language transliteration of the name of the province in Cantonese. It is a port on the Pearl River, navigable to the South China Sea. As of the 2000 census, the city had a population of 6 million, and a metropolitan population of 12.6 million, making it the most populous city in the province and the third most populous metropolitan area in China.

Children playing in the water at a local park:



Some large and in charge koi (DeWayne's long lost cousins who go by the surname DeWang):



Shoe sale on the streets of Guangzhou:



Famous five goat statue:



Pictures below are of the Temple of the Six Banyan Trees which was built in 537 during the Liang Dynasty.

The Temple of the Six Banyan Trees was originally called the Baozhuangyan Temple, but during the Northern Song Dynasty, a writer named Su Shi wrote the inscription Liu Rong (Six Banyan Trees) because of the six banyan trees he saw there and it has since been called the Temple of the Six Banyan Trees. The temple was burned down and rebuilt during the Northern Song Dynasty.

Flowery Pagoda (pictured below), the main structure of the temple, was built in 1097, and was named for its colorful exterior.








Views from the top of the Flowery Pagoda:









The streets of Guangzhou (a sea of black hair):

2 Comments:

  • Stacey is chinese or mix?

    By Blogger Jing, at 4:51 PM  

  • Hello

    I have been Writing Blogs for a few months now and I have to say it is interesting to read what others like yourself write. I was searching for Blogs to get a better idea on what to include in my Blog. I found your Blog in my search. it is a great blog and I truly enjoyed reading it. I will add it to my favorites and I will check back for updates. A lot of my friends belong to http://www.autosurfmonster.com community, if I were you I would submit this Blog to them and let thousands of others see it for free. I wish you warm regards and continued success.

    Jessica

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home