Talk'n The Talk & Wok'n The Wok

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

10/5/06-10/9/06 Our First Visitor

Of course...it's Dad!

With only one relative in Beijing (my second cousin, Denise, who just happens to also be studying Chinese here--she moved to China from NYC in late August 2006) and none of our friends around, it was great having a visitor so early on in our stay.

Much of our time together was spent attending business meetings with my dad. It was a great lesson for both Derek and I on how to conduct business in China (especially with respect to the importance of developing guan (first tone) xi (fourth tone)--meaning relationships). Many of the meetings took place over a 10 course meal. So by the time my dad left, Derek and I must have gained 10 pounds each...easily.

We also had the opportunity to visit an orphanage/foster care facility that my dad has been active with here in Beijing. What an awesome place. I would encourage everyone to visit their website and to read about their mission--it is just incredible: http://www.philiphayden.org/

The pictures below (except for the dinner shot) were taken in the China World Hotel, a very popular hot spot for those conducting business in Beijing and all high-ranking political officials.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home